This Blog Has No Description

Apparently, we have to say something about what we do from time to time. Over the years, I have taught many different courses at the George Washington University on many different subjects that have shared a common methodology, a common set of ideas, a common approach to the world. This is a blog for students and former students of those common ideas to keep in touch with me, to share their thoughts, to contribute their thoughts. I will update it weekly or as events demand.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Wiki leaks and Mid-summer Podcast

A month had passed since the fourth. We seem to be on the downward slide of the BP leak, for which we can only be grateful. I've had a big pice of writing to complete since the night of the fireworks. It is a long essay on technology in the media. It proved to be harder than I anticipated. It took an extra three or four days beyond the time that I had budgeted. When I do a big piece, I have to struggle to keep all the ideas in consciousness as I work, which is not easy and makes me a slightly disagreeable person. However, at this point, I have a decent first draft completed. I will let it set and then return to it.

The big news of technology and media at the moment is the WIkileaks issue. At the moment, the material that they have been posting seems to be relatively minor but the protagonists are starting to raise the issues to a conflict over high principles. None of them has made a particularly good case for their point but first arguments are rarely the best. It is unfolding against the recent series in the Washington Post about the rise of the security state and the expansion of security clearances. It may be an important point in this discussion. We will see how event unfold.

I have posted a mid summer Podcast for you. Drop me a note when you have the chance.

DAG

1 comment:

  1. The link takes you to the opening podcast from a few weeks back.

    ReplyDelete